Introduction to Golang
In this introductory lesson on Go we provide a quick overview of what Go is, why you should learn this powerful language, the difficulty of learning Go and some prerequisites for this tutorial course.
Lessons in this course
If you're new to Go, or programming in general, start from the beginning.
What is Go
Go, or Golang, is a programming language developed at Google in 2007 by Rob Pike, Ken Thompson and Robert Griesemer.
Go is a statically typed language with syntax that’s similar to C. It was developed with the objective of high performance and fast development.
Why learn Go
Go was designed to develop reliable, high performance applications in a simple and fast way.
- Go is modern, fast and comes with a powerful standard library.
- Go provides type safety, garbage collection and dynamic typing.
- Go has built-in concurrency.
- Go uses interfaces as building blocks for code reusability.
Is Go hard to learn
Go is much less complex than many other programming languages like Java, C# or C++ which makes it relatively easy to learn.
Before we proceed, please note that we make the following assumptions:
- You know how to install software on whichever operating system you use.
- You can create and navigate directories and files on your computer.
While this tutorial course is for beginners with no knowledge of Go or programming in general, programmers coming from other languages that want to learn Go may also find it very helpful.
This tutorial course covers many topics of programming in Go, ranging from beginner concepts to advanced.